This fifth release of South brings major new features and much updated internals. Changes include:
- A new ORM Freezing feature, which allows you to access the ORM in its historical state during migrations.
- A totally rewritten models.py parser, which can now deal with all but the most wacky of models files.
- Automatic change detection, so most common migrations can be automatically written for you.
- South is now packaged as a subdirectory, south/, to make it easier to use with pip, buildout, and similar systems.
- Nice DB API methods for removing foreign keys, creating and deleting unique constraints.
- Full compatability with Django-created (and all other) constraints (in case you did the ConvertingAnApp trick) - previously, we relied on predictable named.
- More robust alter_column changes, including dropping constraints for things like PositiveIntegerField when changing away.
The only known issue in this release is that autodetection does not yet detect a few things, including renaming of db_table and proper handling for changing M2M fields.
You can see the full list of closed tickets, or peer through the subversion commits if you're interested in more gory details.